Monday, July 29, 2013

Challenges



Today was an epic day, for me atleast.  I rode another 100 miles today, but it was only 100 of the 124 that were scheduled.  What I am most proud of though is that I knew when to say when and I pulled out.  Typically I would just suck it up and keep going, but not today, too many body parts were sore and starting to hurt.  I never knew my body could hurt this bad, from the calves on up to the neck, but it’s a good kind of hurt.  I hurt because I did not just sit at home and keep saying what if…. What if I did sign up for this ride, what if I did not.  I am so very glad that I did sign up for the tour, there is nothing that can compare to the challenges you may face everyday and the many people you meet along the way. 
We all look the same, in some aspects, we all have shorts, the same jersey, the same helmets but we differ in glasses, pants and of course bicycles.  But overall as you are pedaling along, we all look the same.  Its not till dinner time and everyone has had a chance to shower and put on normal attire that you really notice how different we are and yet we all have the same goals and love of trees.  There are people from all over the world here and all different age groups.  There is one guy who is in his 80’s and let me tell you he can put me to shame all day long.  He gives me so much inspiration to continue cycling because obviously cycling can make you stronger and allow your life to be full and very enjoyable. 
Today at a rest area, one of the support crew members noticed I carried an inhaler in my bag.  I have had asthma most of my life, but I do not approach it as a limitation, it is a challenge and every challenge can be conquered.  She asked me if I would be alright, and I just smiled and said, sure I just keep on pedaling and if I have problems then I will address it, no problem.  Asthma is a weakness of the lungs and what better way to make them stronger than cycling and pushing yourself.  I did take two hits yesterday but today, not a single one.  So I must be getting stronger :) 
The closing message for tonight, don’t let your challenges slow you down, look at them as a challenge and find a way to conquer them.  You are only as strong as your  last challenge, so what are your challenges and how are you going to tackle them?  Me, I will get out of bed tomorrow and ride another 85 miles in the name of trees.  I’ve got this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment