Saturday, October 24, 2015

Family

What is family?  Is family only those that you share your lineage with or is it more?  I have learned over the past two years that it is so much more than just that.  Family to me is defined as those that come into your life and shape it in ways you never imagined.  Three years ago I did something that I did not think was possible, I biked around Lake Ontario.  Me, when in the prime of my youth I would ride around Lake Chautauqua and come in last place during the Cummins Bike Race, but I would always receive a plaque stating I came in first place... in my age group.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could bike for over 500 miles in a week.  But I did it, and the most important thing is I did it again the following year where I had the privilege to bike throughout Wisconsin.  This week I get to bike through a state in which I hope to call my Winter home in the future, Florida.  I ask myself still to  this day why do I do this... the answer is simple, because of my family. 
I have two important families in my life.  My family that is stuck with me because we are related and secondly my bike family.  My first family supports me through this crazy endeavor by being there for my boys when I can not be, this is  truly the hardest part for me during this ride.  Every day if not every hour I will think to myself, John would like to see this or Mathew would love to learn about this and so forth.  I want to share with them this great adventure and I hope I can bring them back someday and share with them everything that I experience.  But school is important and taking them away from that is just not feasible at the moment. 
Then there is my second family, my bike family.  The bike tour is our reunion and our time to share our joys and sometimes our sorrows that we have experienced over the past year.  Most of us keep in touch through Facebook but seeing each other is soooo much better.  There are hugs and smiles being exchanged all the time and the areas around us is always filled with laughter.    There is learning and teaching  being exchanged, ranging from bike trinkets to industry knowledge.  In this family  there is not one black sheep in the family, everyone here is the black sheep and your uniqueness is embraced. 
In the coming week there will be an outpouring of support, knowledge and hugs.   
They have helped me see myself in a new way in the past few years.  My first year they let me see that I am stronger than I ever could imagine.  My second year they let me see that it is okay to stop and admire the flowers and to ask for help when I needed it.  I don't know what  I will learn this year; but I am sure it will be something amazing.  This past year has been a year of changes for me and I contribute it to my family and their way of helping me grow. 
 This family is the crowning example of how every family should be in an ideal world.  I am very privileged to have found this family and even more privileged they allow me to be part of their family.  My only wish for this week is that we all ride safe so we can go home to our first family and to change the world one tree at a time for future families to enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment